chris vs. the arctic

chris: 72 // the arctic: 47

MajorUpdate.com

I've been lax with my blogging. Gomen/Sorry. It's funny how easy it is to develop a routine without noticing. Every day seems the same. Blogging hasn't been a part of my daily routine, but I'm going to change that now. There have been countless times where I said to myself, "I should blog about this!" Now those moments are gone! No more, my friend.

The biggest news I have from the past two months is that I finally got my driver's licence! It's a huge saga in my life. Basically, I didn't want it for the longest time. I didn't have a need in high school or university. Then I went away to Japan. After getting back to the Knife, I decided I needed my vehicular freedom.

During my absence, the Northwest Territories upgraded their process to a graduated system. In order to take the road test, I would have to wait one year after receiving my learner's licence. I fought that rule (since I already had my learner's for so long), and managed to take the road test in October. I was nervous, but I passed with flying colours! Now I can't get enough of driving! Good thing, though, because the ground is now covered with mounds of fluffy snow and hard ice. It's like I'm sledding/driving around the city. [To give you an idea of the ridiculous conditions out there right now: snowmobilers have their own lane on the streets! Oh Yellowknife...]

Side Note: The old driver's licences in the Northwest Territories were completely ghetto. They were laminated pieces of paper that looked like someone named Chuck made them in a back alley of Vancouver. With the new system, the NWT upgraded their cards to the "most secure licences in North America." They are printed in Ottawa and not at the Department of Transportation. The cards are hard plastic with two pictures of you -- a big one on the left, and a small one 'floating' in an oval window on the right. It has some crazy raised typing, holographics, barcodes, watermarks, etc. I hope they're good enough for an ID check in New York City!

I'm potentially buying a car in January. I haven't fully decided yet, but it's likely. Wow, I'm such a grown-up now! I have a full-time job with a pension, a driver's licence, a retirement savings plan, a platinum card, business cards, a car...

The very latest news is that my mother and I are both applying to be contestants on the Canadian version of Deal or No Deal. Believe me, it's all my mother's doing. If I get picked for an interview, I'll have to fly down to Calgary at the end of the month at my own cost. Then, if I'm chosen to be a contestant, they'd fly me to Toronto in January for the taping. Finally, if I'm picked to be on the show (not guaranteed), I'll have a chance to win one million dollars! How random would that be? ;)

I'll take some pictures of the crazy snow for all of you tomorrow. If nothing else, it's very beautiful!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On November 15, 2006, Blogger Ms. World said:

Congrats on getting your driver's license! I'm 35 yrs old and still don't have one. I feel like I need to get one eventually. However, I have no interest in buying a car.

Where are you applying to law school?    



» Post a Comment