chris vs. the arctic

chris: 72 // the arctic: 47

Tower Love

I have an obsession with towers. The bigger and more grandiose, the better. There's something endearing and grand about societies creating giant glass and steel structures that rise out of the boring masses of 'houses' and 'office buildings.' Every city that's any city has one.

I have been to more than a handful of the world's tallest and most famous buildings. Let's take a tour of Chris' World Towers!


Number 1 // Toronto // CN Tower

Up High

Ah, yes. This one is close to my heart. The first time I visited Toronto's needle-like phallus I was 17 years old. This past Christmas saw my return to the CN Tower. It's still as tall and awesome as ever!


Number 2 // Chicago // John Hancock Centre

The John Hancock Centre

Chicago is one of the most architecturally interesting cities in the world. I had the chance to visit several of its towers last Christmas. I had a martini in the Signature Room at the top of the John Hancock Centre. Definitely worth the $$$!


Number 3 // Chicago // Sears Tower

Chicago at Twilight

I didn't go inside the Sears Tower, but I spied it from the top of the Hancock Centre, so I think that's good enough. It's the 4th tallest building in the world.


Number 4 // Singapore // United Overseas Bank Plaza One

Skyline at Night

It had pretty lights!


Numbers 5 & 6 // Kuala Lumpur // The Petronas Towers

The Petronas Towers

They count as two and are the 2nd and 3rd tallest buildings in the world. I used the ultra-fancy pay bathroom in the lobby and lounged around the fountains in the backyard. When I go back to Malaysia, I'm definitely crossing that skybridge!


Number 7 // Kuala Lumpur // Menara Kuala Lumpur

Menara Kuala Lumpur

I love it for pretending to be the CN Tower.


Number 8 // Hong Kong // Two International Finance Centre

Two International Finance Centre at Night

The 6th tallest building in the world. It looks so cool! It's even got a little brother -- One International Finance Centre.


Number 9 // Hong Kong // Central Plaza

The Hong Kong Skyline (Part 1)

Currently the world's 10th tallest tower. The light shows at night are fantastic!


Number 10 // Hong Kong // Bank of China Tower

The Hong Kong Skyline (Part 2)

I don't really like the looks of this guy. It's bad Feng Shui (for real). But you gotta give Hong Kong credit for having the guts to erect it.


Number 11 // Hong Kong // Lippo Centre

The Lippo Towers

These aren't particularly tall or famous, but I love them. They look like they're made of Lego!


Number 12 // Sapporo // Sapporo TV Tower

TV Tower

Yeah, it's cheesy. Yeah, I went to the top. Yeah, I loved it.


Number 13 // Kyoto // Kyoto Tower

Kyoto Tower

I think it's a Japanese law that every large Japanese city is required to have a TV tower. This is one of the biggest tourist traps out there, but I somehow avoided its clutches.


Number 14 // Osaka // Osaka World Trade Center

Osaka World Trade Centre

I partied hardcore beneath this building at the Summer Sonic music festival last year. It was a great setting for drinking and dancing!


Number 15 // Tokyo // Tokyo Metropolitian Government Building

Tokyo Metro Building

The best looking capitol building in the whole world. It screams Tokyo.


Here is a tag on my Flickr account for all these photos: worldtowers.

Check out world's the up-and-coming creations: Skyscrapers Under Construction Around the World. The future will look like the future!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On June 27, 2006, Blogger Carl Johnson said:

Technically, the Tokyo Metro Center is more of a city hall than a capitol building. (I guess you could call it the Prefectural Capitol, but Tokyo Prefecture = Tokyo City, so…) The capitol building of Japan is the Diet Building in Nagata-cho.    



On June 27, 2006, Blogger Chris said:

It's the prefuctural capitol building. Does Toyama even have one? My the building near Intec?    



On June 27, 2006, Blogger Gillian said:

Chris, please tell me you were inspired by CBC news, and that this tower-thing isn't a creepy coincidence!
Check it out: http://www.cbc.ca/news/photogalleries/flash/towers.html?gallery=towers    



On June 27, 2006, Blogger mystery meat said:

oh! i have been to all the same towers as you, except the ones in hong kong and singapore. and i also haven't been to the osaka world trade center but it's on the list now!!
i think we go on the same vacations only we don't take them together: malaysia, sado island, etc... strange,huh?    



On June 28, 2006, Blogger Chris said:

Gillian, you're absolutely right! I was inspired by that CBC News article! I was going to include the link, but I thought I had read about it in the New York Times, so I couldn't find it. Thanks!    



On June 28, 2006, Blogger bullfighter6.2 said:

Perhaps there`s something a tad phallic about the love of towers?
Freud could analyse this to death!    



On June 28, 2006, Blogger Chris said:

Haha, we don't need Freud to figure this one out! ;)    



On June 28, 2006, Blogger Sista K said:

Wow...that's a lot of tall towers! I haven't been to nearly that many...but here is one of my favorites.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=100934

I only saw it from a distance, but our tour guide made some bad joke about building it so planes could fly threw it. Nobody laughed!    



On July 01, 2006, Blogger OSB said:

Dude, what about the Toyama City Hall?    



» Post a Comment