chris vs. the arctic

chris: 72 // the arctic: 47

Japanese Television

I almost never watch TV in Japan, mainly because I don't speak Japanese well. Also because it's generally crap. Not that Canadian television is any better, but you know.

Out of sheer boredom one day, I decided to turn on my TV and check out what was going on in the world of Nihongo. I quickly found one of the more popular variety shows, featuring a joke-cracking host, cliché slapstick comedians, personality-lacking actresses, random video segments, and some sort of undecipherable quiz game. All-in-all, pretty typical.

However, one of the video segments ended up being one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen on Japanese TV! They gathered three 80+ year old men, put them behind podiums on a stage, got a famous crooner to ask questions, and had the men answer them for points. Because the old men were sincerely senile, they were blabbing out answers that had nothing to do with the questions! One man kept interrupting the host, while another pushed his buzzer repeatedly to answer a question that wasn't even asked yet! It was essentially "Celebrity Jeopardy" from Saturday Night Live!!

Japanese Television

I was one the floor laughing at this one, even though I couldn't understand one word of it! It just proves that laughter is universal. Or, laughing at old men is...
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On April 07, 2006, Blogger Geoff said:

and why do they always do that in-screen shot of some guy in one of the corners? Everytime i switch on somebody is doingg something or somebdy is chatting inanely to somebody else and there's this disembodied head in the corner alternately looking shocked, laughing, crying etc....    



On April 07, 2006, Blogger Chris said:

The person in the corner is my favourite part! How else am I supposed to know how to react to the program? "Should I laugh? Do I cry now? What?"    



» Post a Comment