chris vs. the arctic

chris: 72 // the arctic: 47

12 for ¥183


12 for ¥183
Originally uploaded by buck82.
How is this possible?? How can I buy a billion bananas for less than 2 bucks? And how is this even remotely possible in JAPAN? It's a mystery.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On February 09, 2006, Blogger Gillian said:

What, did you decide your previous post about WW3 was too intelligent, and you needed to dumb it down a bit with some fruit??? I'm rolling my eyes at you right now!    



On February 09, 2006, Blogger Chris said:

Basically. It was either bananas or the a story about me getting on the wrong bus. I may regale you with that one soon...

On a side note, I recounted the bananas, and there were actually 15!!    



On February 09, 2006, Anonymous Adam said:

Why they are so cheap: The bananas are from the Phillipines. In the Phillipines they use crazy pesticides that cause mutations and crazy diseases in the workers. They work in horrible conditions, are exposed to these insane chemicals, have no protection and die horrible deaths. The Japanese banana market is what drives this industry. Chemicals that are illegal in Japan (as far as pesticides go-that's not many) are promoted in these banana plantations due to their cheap availability. That is how you got 15 bananas for 183 yen.    



On February 10, 2006, Blogger Chris said:

I always assumed that was the reason. I just didn't want to think of it. Oh, globalization...    



On February 10, 2006, Blogger Gillian said:

Whatever. Eat the Bananas and enjoy them before the whole lot of them goes extinct sometime soon. Mmmm, cheap bananas.    



On February 10, 2006, Blogger ambamarie said:

Yeah, have you ever noticed that there are the dirt cheap bananas, then the Dole ones that cost like $3 for 3 and are wrapped in plastic. I often buy the Dole ones because a)I've seen bugs whizzing around the others and b) it sketches me out to think about HOW these things are so darn cheap.    



On February 10, 2006, Blogger bullfighter6.2 said:

I just bought six perfectly ripe tomatos for 100yen.
I thought perhaps they were poison and my dead body would serve as a reminder to those pursuing cheap produce.

Sometimes Japan just ain`t that bad a place, you know?    



On February 11, 2006, Blogger Lauren said:

ha! I was going to make a comment about the bananas going extinct, and the gillian beat me to it. My lifelong rant...
I bought an avocado for $2.50 the other day, which sucked, but to counter that was grapes for 2.95 per kilo, which was a-ok by me!    



On February 12, 2006, Blogger Chris said:

Avacados are ¥98 ($1) here. I thought that was expensive! Damn Australia!    



» Post a Comment