chris vs. the arctic

chris: 72 // the arctic: 47

Politics

WARNING: You may not care.

Canada just had another election. (Or, as it is said in Japan, erection. Oooh! Lame, I know.) There is a new Prime Minister -- Stephen Harper. He's the leader of the Conservative Party of Canada and is very right-wing. His party managed to wrangle enough seats away from the ruling Liberal party to form a minority government. (That means they don't have enough seats to pass anything without some other party's help. Duh.)

Even though I lean left, I am happy with the results of the election. Here are my reasons:

1) The Prime Minister is not from Ontario or Quebec.
2) The Liberals don't deserve to rule Canada at the moment with all their scandals.
3) Change is good.
4) The U.S. may see Stephen Harper as a friend and stop hating Canada.
5) Minority governments don't last and have no real power, so Stephen Harper can't be hardcore conservative just yet.
6) The candidate I voted for in my riding won! The previous MP had been in office for 18 years...
7) The uncertainity of another minority government weakens the strong Canadian dollar, thus making it cheaper for me to buy Canadian dollars with my Japanese yen. (i.e. I don't pay out the a$$ to send my money home.)

We'll see how long this government lasts...
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On January 25, 2006, Blogger Kari said:

but i don't want the canadian dollar to weaken! goddamnit! the canadian dollar is worth more than the new zealand dollar and i want to benefit from that as much as possible... gah!    



On January 25, 2006, Blogger Gillian said:

Go Canadian dollar, go! Drop! Lower, lower, lower... yup. I'm transfering money tomorrow, so I'll take any help I can get! (Just wish it didnt' take electing a jackass government to make my money worth a but more!)
Wanna chat tonight? I'll be home after 10!    



On January 25, 2006, Blogger Linea said:

I didn't vote...I hate politics.

But yay for change, and yay for someone leading from the West.    



On January 25, 2006, Anonymous Justus said:

I should have waited to transfer my cash. ^.~ How long do you give our minority government this time?    



On January 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said:

I dont want the dollar to weaken and I want Harpers lame ass outta power. At least its a minority and he has absolutely no power whatsoever. That is the only thing making me sleep well at night.
Oh, BTW - your comment about not having US hate us (and do they really? They dont even know we are there) I don't think Harpers off to a good start with that....    



» Post a Comment