chris vs. the arctic

chris: 72 // the arctic: 47

Plastered

...With snow. I bet you thought I was going to be writing about my drunken weekend. Ney, my friend. I am going to tell you about my walk to work this morning.

Actually, I shouldn't really label what I did as 'walking.' It was more of a 'feat of survival.' A bit dramatic? Maybe. Deserved? Definitely. Let me explain...

Toyama is generally a snowy place in the winter. The season started out with a bang as mother nature dumped two metres of snow onto our heads. I was fine with that since I left straight away for another continent. I came home three weeks later to find a land thickly frosted with snow from mountains to sea. The trek to school was manageable, especially since I was driven there almost everyday day by a sympathetic coworker. It reached the point where I was considering riding my bike to work.

Then, without (an English and obvious) warning, Toyama was assaulted by a flurry of white death last night. I blame all the foaming-at-the-mouth frenzied snowboarding fanatics for praying for this weather. They love it. I hate it.

I left my house this morning assuming that my walk would be brief, as it is every morning. Surely one of my four regular chauffeurs would swoop me off the highway and into their car's warm safety. Surely.

Not three minutes into my walk did I regret not wearing my brand new snowboarding outfit. The wind was blistering cold and pushing against me. The snow was shooting straight into my eyes. My shoes were quickly filling with ice. It was hell. But opposite.

I consoled myself by remembering that a teacher was just seconds away from picking me up. My iPod distracted my mind from thinking about the loss of feeling in my fingers or the layer of snow building on my clothes.

I think it was around the Cosmo station that I realised I was going to die. Something about the combination of rice paddies and sparsely distributed buildings in the area made the wind and snow excited enough to form a real blizzard. I literally couldn't see more than one metre ahead of me, and I nearly started to walk down the wrong road. My trek through the Antarctic region of Highway 77 lasted another ten minutes. My body arrived at school covered in a thick layer of ice and snow.

My soul didn't survive.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On January 23, 2006, Blogger Lola Viajera said:

I have never seen snow for real in my entire life. And I really want to, it looks beautiful in TV. Everybody said it's hell, but I might as well die like your soul cover in something so wonderful and dangerous at the same time, than to die God knows how. I'm from Puerto Rico, I'm used to tropical warm weathers and I'm always ready to go to the beach.

Anyways I'm really sorry for you. Tomorrow will be different.    



On January 23, 2006, Blogger Carl Johnson said:

Says the man from Yellowknife!! Damn, that's cold!

Anyhow, the Buddhists believe in TWO hells. One is the hell of hot heats. The other is the hell of cold colds. You can imagine what's happened to us now.    



On January 23, 2006, Blogger Sista K said:

sorry...i'll stop praying so hard!    



On January 24, 2006, Anonymous Jeff Lawson said:

And to think, when I interviewed for a teaching position in Japan, I actually requested placement in Toyama.

Actually, I kind of wish I was there to experience this year's crazy winter.    



On January 24, 2006, Blogger Gillian said:

Did I tell you it snowed here too? I took pictures... there was a whole 1/2 cm built up on the shadowed parts of the roof tiles! None made it to the ground, but really, who would want that?
Good luck up north!    



On January 24, 2006, Blogger Geoff said:

Mmpphhhh. Fnnfflnnnnnnnnng. Fgnngnnffff. Gaaaaaaaaaah!    



On January 25, 2006, Blogger Linea said:

isn't it crazy how -50 at home feels better than -2 in Toyama. i've been here for 4 winters and body still doesn't believe it's warmer here than 'Up North'.    



» Post a Comment