chris vs. the arctic

chris: 72 // the arctic: 47

Yellowknife Connections

As I hope most of you know, I am from Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada. Yes, it's cold. No, I don't live in an igloo. Yes, I have a polar as a pet. No, you can't touch it.

The great metropolis that is Yellowknife is home to around 19,000 people. Needless to say, it's real easy to get to know a lot of people. I recently stumbled upon someone on the Internet that I knew in high school... and on quite an unexpected site. No no -- it's not dirty or anything. It was www.imdb.com! (For those of you unaware of the best source of movie information, I recommend you explore the Internet Movie Database.)

Just tonight, I was thinking about an assembly I attended when I was in grade 10 in high school. It was one of those cheezy inspirational pep-talks you only get from a guest speaker. This one turned out to be a Yellowknifer who moved to Hollywood and had some very minor roles in some B-rate horror flicks. (Tobias Mehler was his name, by the way.) But he wasn't the person that I stumbled upon.

After searching for 'Yellowknife' in the biographies field of imdb.com, I was shocked to see a familiar name on the list: Dustin Milligan. He was one of those skater kids who made skate videos and practiced jumps all day. When I graduated from high school, he was in grade 10. Now he's in some major motion pictures! I can't believe it!!

To further my quest for other Yellowknife peeps, and possibly crossing some sort of line, I googled other names. I found out that Molly Milligan, Dustin's sister, made it on to a snowboarding team in British Columbia. She wants to compete in the Olympics, and I'm sure she'll make it!

It's nice to see Yellowknifers representin'! If you're one of my Yellowknife friends, e-mail me and let me know what you're doing!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On September 14, 2005, Anonymous B said:

Thats crazy! I did the exact same thing this summer while I was at Jan's house - NOT watching BB6 because I was mad at the show. I just typed in Yellowknife into IMDB cause I do that sometimes and figured I'd just see Margot Kidder (aka Lois Lane from Superman movies) like I usually do but no! Up pops Dustin Milligan (and Tobias...) and I was like he's in movies?!? weirdness!
I knew Molly was interested in going to the Olympics because she's been selling Molly coffee or something the past few summers at Javaroma. But that would be awesome to see her representing Canada and NWT at the olympics!

Me - Im just chilling in Belgium, trying not to be too dorky :)    



» Post a Comment