chris vs. the arctic

chris: 72 // the arctic: 47

A Classic Moment

Just a few moments ago, I found myself in the middle of a classic situation at school, which made me laugh my ass off.

After I left my 2-nensei (Grade 8) classroom, I was whistling "Ding Dong, The Witch Is Dead" down the hallway. Four girls, who were walking in front of me, started to laugh and ask me what song it was. I said it was from the Wizard of Oz.

Blank stares.

"You know, Weizaradu afu Aazuu?"

Nothing.

"There was a witch. With a green face [gesture], black hat [gesture], broom [gesture]... "

Nada.

"A house fell out of the sky [gesture]..."

...

"Okay... See you later!"

I can't even imagine someone trying to explain a random movie to me, which I probably haven't seen, in Japanese. Hilarious!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On September 16, 2005, Blogger Gillian said:

Gah! I hate that! I talk myself into a corner all the time, especially when I start trying to explain multiple meanings of words. Like at my enkai last month, when was trying to tell my teacher to pur me a beer with just a little head... and then we talked about beer-foam head, and body-head, and then... yeah, and then I considered explaining the third meaning using gestures, and decided to keep the last shread of my self-respect in tact! ;)    



On September 16, 2005, Blogger K8 said:

Last night at an enkai I was emphasizing a word using the "quotation marks" guesture with my fingers, and everyone thought I was pretending to be a crab.    



On September 20, 2005, Blogger bullfighter6.2 said:

You should turn that story into a haiku!

Had to gesture Diarrhea once at drugstore while buying meds for Vietnam. Language low point.    



» Post a Comment