chris vs. the arctic

chris: 72 // the arctic: 47

The Pastry

I see it there. Sitting in it's wicker basket. Nestled between others of its kind. Golden, flaky, creamy... Unsuspecting.

In my hung-over daze, I wandered into this place. Why does alcohol induce this craving in me? No matter. It's time to satisfy.

My gold and white thongs grip the pastry creation. I delicately lift it out of its home and place it next to the other chosen ones on my paper tray. The current selection includes the sugar ball, the star bun, and the choco-croissant. This pastry is different, though. I've never seen it before. It's small and square, with a flaky crust framing a white cream centre. What is that in the centre? Probably something delicious. I hope. I pay for my indulgence and head home.

After making some strong coffee, I rip into the cellophane covering my intended brunch. Feeling slightly hesitant about eating the mystery pastry right away, I munch on the croissant. Mmm mmm. So good. Next it will be... no, not yet. The sugar ball looks good... Yep! That's the stuff.

Okay, no more delaying. It's time for another round of Japanese pastry exploration. I will never forget the first time I bit into an anko (red bean) bun thinking it was chocolate chip. Or the time I forced down the mayo- and ham-filled roll that I mistook for a regular, palatable roll. At least I know this Japanese interpretation of French bakery doesn't involve hot dogs (unlike 25% of those in the store).

The one rule I've developed through my time in Japan is to never assume. My assumption for this pastry is that it's filled with cream cheese.

I raise it to my mouth, bite, and chew. Hmmm... It's not bad... What is that flavor? ... Is that... CORN?! There's corn in my pastry!! CORN! GAH! JAPAN!!! *shaking my fist*

"At least it's not ham," I think as I pop the rest of it into my mouth.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On August 08, 2005, Anonymous lacey said:

haha..im sitting in the korean equvalent of daiwa and that brought back good memories of japan...feel a bit nostalgic about the place now that i am gone ( though jeju is pretty fantastic...and the food...so good, way better than japanese)    



» Post a Comment