chris vs. the arctic

chris: 72 // the arctic: 47

▲ List: Annoying Terms Used by the Media

slam - used as a condemnation term. Its usage in this context is not listed in the Oxford dictionary.
row - meaning 'dispute.' The third and colloquial definition of this word.
call - correctly used, but annoying none the less.
hail - used as a praising term. Its usage in this context is not listed in the Oxford dictionary.

Who uses these terms?? You wouldn't hear this kind of dialogue in a regular office:

"Did you hear that Tim and Jack had a row last week?"
"Yeah! I heard Tim slammed Jack for his white socks with black shoes."
"That's right. Tim is calling for a black-socks-only policy at work."
"I think most people would hail that decision."
"Word."

Yeah, right.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On July 13, 2005, Blogger Jo said:

umm....we say row in the UK    



On July 14, 2005, Blogger Chris said:

It's true. But it's funny when CNN uses the word. It's like they're trying to be the BBC. :)    



On July 14, 2005, Blogger Gillian said:

a. you re a huge giant nerd. Did you think of that all yourself, and look it up in the dictionary? Or do you spend your time reading about words?
b. Ummm, all those words seem quite acceptable and normal to me! ok, maybe I'd never use hail, except in an essay... but then it would be fine!    



On July 14, 2005, Blogger Chris said:

I looked them up!

Yeah, I know some of these used are correct, but they use them waaaay too often. It's all, "calls for this, and slams that...". Too much! Get a new vocab!

I bet I'm not the only one who notices this. There is a group that votes every year on the most over-used phrase and word. A couple of years ago, "that being said" was voted the most over-used phrase. Everyone was saying it, and it was annoying.

I wonder what this year's will be...    



On July 15, 2005, Anonymous Sonia said:

I use most of those terms! Can't say I've ever used hail though...    



» Post a Comment