chris vs. the arctic

chris: 72 // the arctic: 47

My Next Project

As part of my job, I am required to join a school club. All junior high school students in Japan have to join an after school club, be it sports or the like. Last term, I was 'a part of' the kendo club. By 'part of', I mean I showed up once a month when I realised I was supposed to go. It's not that I didn't go solely because I am lazy (which I am), but it is difficult to speak with the kids when they're screaming their heads off. (Google "kendo" for an explanation on that.)

This term, I've decided to join the art club. I visited it yesterday and found it to be quite enjoyable! Generally, the type of kids who join the art club know a little bit more English than others. (You know the type I'm talking about.) Also, it is much easier to hold actual conversations when all you're doing is drawing or painting.

One problem: I have never done any sort of formal art before! None in junior high school, high school, or university. Unless, of course, if you count finger painting in elementary school... So, it looks like I'll be picking my pencil or paint brush, and venturing into a whole new world of mediocre!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On April 13, 2005, Blogger Gillian said:

Wow, thats fun! I've occaisionally thought about joining art club too... but I always decide against publically displaying my mediocrity. Its awkward enough to be constantly complemented about my Japanese skills, but I'd feel horrible if my oh-so-polite students thought that they had to complement my crappy art!
But Chris, I think it will be fun... keep us posted on what you create!    



» Post a Comment