chris vs. the arctic

chris: 72 // the arctic: 47

Morning Gomi

The garbage ['gomi' in Japanese] system in Japan is surprisingly confusing. You'd think a country that can synchronize a train system to the minute could figure out an easy garbage system. But no. There are garbage days for 'burnable' items, 'non-burnable' items, glass, cans, big crap, small crap, machines, shelves, etc. In the end, I guarantee you they all end up being burned in the same place.

Anyway, this morning I decided to get rid of all the beer cans I've accumulated over the past 3 months. (I can never figure out when the can day is!) Convenience stores have multi-type garbage bins that act as a 'catch-all' when you can't figure out where a particular garbage item is supposed to be sorted to. I brought the huge bag of beer cans to the convenience store on the way to my school... As I was shoving the cans into the small hole, one of my teachers comes up to me and says, "ohayo gozaimasu!" ["good morning!"]

You can imagine my embarrassment: The teacher happens upon the foreign English teacher dumping a large amount of empty beer cans into a convenience store garbage can... Yeeeah. I swear -- I'm not an alcoholic! But, since she doesn't speak English, I cannot explain that to her!

Oh well, better pop a can, and settle into my new role as Daimon Junior High School's new lush.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

On March 30, 2005, Blogger Gillian said:

Dude, that is a lot of blogging for one week! Well done!
I've been having garbage issues tis week too.. there are about 12 bags of not-quite-properly-sorted garbage piled outside my door, so every day I carry a few of the down to the street and try to dump them under the anti-crow-net before anyone can walk by and see me! 5 bags down, 7 to go...    



» Post a Comment